Adjustment of Status

An adjustment of status (AOS) is a process where foreign nationals in the U.S. can petition for permanent legal residency status, and obtain their “green card”. While this application is open to a number of individuals, it is most frequently used by fiancés and spouses married in the U.S.

For married couples, you should know that you have the burden of proving your marriage is not a sham. Generally speaking, the United States government presumes your marriage is a fraud, until you prove that it is legitimate. The laws in this area are complex, and there is a great deal of documentation and paperwork required to prove that your marriage is genuine. We can counsel you on the types of documents to gather in order to prove your marriage is genuine.

While adjustment of status was much easier in the past, with the events of 9/11 and the rising number of fraudulent marriages designed solely to obtain U.S. citizenship, the government has cracked down on adjustment of status requests and generally presumes all marriages are fraudulent until you prove otherwise.

At the O’Grady Law Office, P.C., we understand the requirements for an adjustment of status. We can help you compile a case file and prepare you for your interview.

If your application is incomplete or contains errors, it can jeopardize or delay your adjustment of status. Likewise, if you fail to persuade the government your marriage is legitimate and not a fraud, your adjustment of status will likely be denied. We understand the burden you have and can help you meet that burden. We provide you with the information you need to make the strongest possible case.

Also, we can tell you if you qualify for an adjustment of status. For example, if you came to the U.S. on a K-1 visa (fiancé visa) and didn’t marry with in the 90-day time period or married someone else, you may not qualify for an adjustment of status. We offer experienced advice and excellent representation in adjustment of status and other immigration matters.

For a discussion of your adjustment of status request, we invite you take advantage of our free initial phone consultation to determine how we can help you. Please call (312) 338-1808 or fill out our intake form located on our Contact Us page. An experienced immigration lawyer is just a phone call away.

Client Reviews

In this difficult and challenging landscape of immigration law one attorney stands out as one who can get the job done. Julie O’Grady. She is relentless in pursuit of a successful resolution for her clients. A disciplined researcher, she left no stone unturned in her successful bid to obtain a visa...

James W.

Get in Touch

  1. 1 Free Phone Consultation
  2. 2 Reasonable Fees
  3. 3 Knowledgeable and Experienced

Fill out the contact form or call us at (312) 338-1808 to schedule your free phone consultation.

Leave Us a Message